During the past several years, minimally invasive parathyroidectomy (more information: MIP)has clearly become the preferred method of removing parathyroid tumors. More than 120 scientific articles have been published, showing that the procedure has a higher success rate and lower complicationrate than standard parathyroid surgery. The surgical technique has gained wide acceptance as the most advanced, least invasive, and preferred method for operating on and removing parathyroid tumors.
There are several differences between the standardparathyroid surgery techniques performed by general surgeons and the minimally invasive surgery performed by specialists like Dr. Larian. Benefits of minimally invasive parathyroidectomy include:
- Local anesthesia or avery light general anesthesia is used
- Smaller incision
- Less operating time (Average is under 18 minutes)
- No risk to nerves andother structures on the “normal” side of the neck
- Less pain (less invasive)
- Quicker recovery
- Significantly less expensive
- Cure rate is significantly higher
- No risk of hypoparathyroidism
Dr. Larian is a Beverly Hills parathyroid expert, and available for consultation. For more information, contact us online or give us a call at 310.461.0300.